Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Today's Dinner





Orange Glazed Chicken with Carrots and Bulgur
from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food Magazine --
April 2009

Per my previous post, I am being budget conscious. This meal is supposed to cost $9.90 and serves four. It cost me $7.81. It's very reminiscent of a slow-cooker meal I made last week, but was worth trying. I calculated the cost of each ingredient based on how much I actually used, as did the magazine.



8 Chicken Drumsticks (about 3 pounds total - these are BIG) -- $4.02
Course Salt and Pepper -- $.02
1/2 Cup Orange Marmalade -- $.85
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil -- $.05
4 Medium Carrots, cut into 1" chunks -- $.67
1 Cup Bulgur (I used Couscous...more on that later.) -- $1.53
1 teaspoon Lime Zest, plus 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice -- $.67

1. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees. On a large rimmed baking sheet, arrange chicken in a single layer; season with salt and pepper. (I always line my baking sheet when cooking meat; it makes clean up easier.)



Here's the chicken waiting for the oven to come up to temperature.

Roast for 10 minutes. Brush with half the marmalade, and rotate sheet.


Be generous with the marmalade....it goes a long way.


Continue to roast, brushing once more with marmalade, until chicken is browned and cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes more.



Now for the side dish - delicious!

2. While chicken is roasting, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high. Add carrots; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown. (Well, I blackened mine a little bit and they still tasted okay!)

Before the carrots were neglected.

Add bulgur and 1 1/2 cups water; bring to a boil. Cover, and reduce heat to low; cook until bulgur is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in lime zest and juice; season with salt and pepper.



Here are the limes awaiting their début.

Serve chicken with bulgur mixture.


Table Ready!

The verdict? Loved by everyone! Including the hungry toddler who threw the couscous everywhere when he was done eating. Clean up was worth every ounce in gold to hear his giggles.


One last note...if you are like me and have couscous in your pantry v. the bulgur. Cook the carrots in the water for 10 to 12 minutes covered and then add the grains. I think it would be closer to the intent of the meal.

No comments: