Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Bringing Out the Budget Shopper in Me

I'm being completely cliché and I know it, but in these economic times, I've had to think about ways to save money. When it comes to clothes, furniture and other fun things, I love to bargain hunt. But, when it comes down to food, I spend full price on everything. So when Jeff recently had to take a paycut I started to take a look at how we spend our money. I know we can cut out the typical coffee runs and such - that's easy. But, we want to continue to whittle down what's going out and maximize what's coming in.

My friend Bev recently announced that she saved $88 dollars in one week of grocery shopping. I immediately wanted to know how I, too, could save such a large amount of money on a weekly basis. She sent me to Coupon Mom. There I read about Strategic Shopping and how to maximize the use of coupons. Now this week, I was in a big rush to get to the grocery store. We had been out of town all weekend and came home with a hungry baby and no food - not even milk! So, I skipped the coupons and just used the Strategic Shopping techniques. Guess what! I saved at least $40 -- and in comparison to really spendy weeks, $80!

I'm so excited that I have to share. As I said earlier, I don't want to give up the stuff we love when it comes to food. With the menu I used this week, we don't have to give up taste for cost. I used the April 2009 issue of Martha Stewart Everyday Food magazine to develop it.

Monday - Mediterranean Salad with Green Beans and Feta
Today - Orange Glazed Chicken with Carrots and Bulgur
Wednesday - Irish Hand Pies (I know - a day late for St. Patty's...This is from the March issue of Everyday Food. These are pre-made and ready in my freezer. I have plans for the night.)
Thursday - Slow Cooker Beef and Black Bean Chili
Friday - Broccoli, Tomato and Mozzarella Stromboli
Saturday or Sunday - Mediterranean Chicken Packets

Later today I will also show step by step the Orange Glazed Chicken with Carrots and Bulgur as well as the cost break down. Plus reviews from the hubby and baby!

No comments: