Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Risotto with Pancetta and Fava Beans

My friend Alexis introduced me to the Four Ingredient Cook Book. (Excuse me, it's an encyclopedia, not a book!) She made some lentils from one of their recipes and also a carrot salad. Both were great. I ran across it in the bargain aisle for $5 one day and decided to pick it up for myself. The book is beautiful with pictures for each recipe. I need to start using it more because the recipes are easy and tasty too. If I get really adventurous one day I'll try making my own breads from here. Last night I made the Risotto. It was yummy, easy and a crowd pleaser. It made plenty and I am looking forward to the left overs. While this meal was not the bargain basement that the book was, I figured I have four good portions for about $14 dollars. Much cheaper than going out to eat!

You begin by simmering 6 cups of vegetable broth. (It calls for herb, but who knows where to get that!) Then you dice up 6 ounces of Pancetta. Render the Pancetta in a heavy bottom pan.

Nothing like the smell of smoked and rendered pork fat! Then you add 1 3/4 cups arborio rice.

Stir the rice until it's translucent...about one minute. Then you begin adding the simmered broth one ladel at a time. Stir, stir, stir. Add more broth. Repeat. It's that simple!

More adding broth and stirring....this process will take about 25 minutes or so. Adjust your stovetop temperature so the steam doesn't scald you like it did me!

Soon enough you will have a pot full of creamy yumminess. Then add one bag of previously frozen Fava Beans....Can't find Fava Beans? Use Lima Beans - close enough! Heat these through. I added one more ingredient....more like a garnish of sort. Some slivers of Pecerino Ramano. Yum!

No comments: